Several times I posted that QR codes were doomed. (Just search on QR to find my earlier posts). In a recent article by B.L. Ochman in Advertising Age, she declares QR Codes dead. The lessons she cites were my reasons for why they would fail:
“What are the lessons of QR for brands using the new technologies?
- Make it easy for consumers to use.
- Explain how it works, in clear, concise language.
- Employ it only when it can add something unique to the user experience.
- Make sure content or ads that contain it won’t be put in places where cellphone service is unavailable.
- Make the apps available only for situations when using them makes sense.
To be fair, as I noted in one of my earlier posts, I have seen QR Codes before only they went by the name Cue Cat, so I was pretty confident in my prediction.
And the lessons above are true of most new things your company might want to introduce.